News & Announcements
Important Dates to Remember
- September 10, 4:30pm Season begins
- September 12, 10:00am to 3:00pm mandatory retreat. Lunch will be served.
- September 12, tuition due.
HPYS Moves to the Logan Center
HPYS to partner with the University of Chicago Music Department and the Logan Center for Performing Arts!
Starting in Fall of 2015, the Hyde Park Youth Symphony will enter a new era with:
- A partnership with the University of Chicago Music Department
- A partnership with the Logan Center for Performing Arts
- Spectacular new rehearsal space overlooking Hyde Park at the Logan Center
- Unprecedented personal attention from mentors who will coach and play side by side with HPYS musicians
- An outstanding young Music Director, Matthew Sheppard
- An advisory relationship with Maestra Barbara Schubert, Music Director and Conductor of the University of Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Participation in the Logan Center Family Matinee Series
Music Director Matthew Sheppard
Welcome to Music Director Matthew Sheppard. In addition to overseeing HPYS and conducting our senior orchestra, Matthew is Director of the University of Chicago Chamber Orchestra. He is pursuing a doctorate in orchestral conducting at the University of Illinois and holds bachelor's and master's degrees in music education, performance, and conducting from Penn State.
General Manager Collin Boltz
Welcome to our new General Manager Collin Boltz. In addition to his management skills, Collin is a talented percussionist and has a Bachelor of Music.
Claire Despres Oppenheim Concerto 2014-2015 Competition Winner
Nicolas Worsley, a sixth grade student at the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools is the winner of the 2015 Claire Despres Oppenheim Concerto Competition. Being a member of the Hyde Park Youth Symphony has provided Nicolas with the opportunity to significantly improve his skills on the violin and perform in a number of concerts along with his senior orchestra group.
Spring Benefit 2014-2015
Thank you to all for your support of our first benefit attended by outside guests. We had over 100 guests, the Kersten hall was a beautiful elegant venue, our students sounded wonderful, we had a very nice dinner and we raised more than we ever have before.
Our guest of honor was Florence Schwartz, violinist from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and other guests included music teachers, University of Chicago Faculty members, past Presidents of the board and many other friends of the Hyde Park Youth Symphony.
The Guyot-Sionnest Lab set up a science and music table that delighted our youngsters.
Thank you, everyone!
Opportunities for Involvement
We operate, succeed and prosper with the help of parents and the community. Please download the Opportunities for Involvement form (pdf) and choose which area(s) would best benefit from your enthusiasm and talents.
The Hyde Park Youth Symphony (HPYS) is a community-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing a high-quality arts experience to youth on the south side of Chicago, Illinois and nurturing in them a love for music that will last a lifetime. The Symphony serves a broad range of young people and families, from a variety of public, private, and home school programs, and from a diversity of racial, ethnic, educational, and economic backgrounds.